Thursday, January 17, 2013

Be The Change

The Della Lamb charter school is near and dear to my heart. My mom was involved with helping them years ago and I had a couple Christmas parties for their students a few years ago. They are always thankful and they are ALWAYS in need. 

So, when we decided to have toys donated for Brady and Kellen's party, I knew just where to take them. 

I love Della Lamb's Christmas Store because the families get to CHOOSE the gifts that their children will be unwrapping on Christmas morning. The mamas and dads get to choose something themselves that they think will be perfect for their angel. Adopting a family is always an amazing thing to do, but there was something special about knowing that those moms and dads are picking the exact gift, that draws me to Della Lamb. I know that if I were a needy mama, I would feel so amazing getting to "shop" and really choose the perfect thing for my babies. Because after all, no one knows my babies better.
As we pulled in to Della lamb, we were greeted by a group of the sweetest boys you could ever quickly meet. They were so appreciative when we opened our trunk. They helped us carry a few things into the building and then they swiftly disappeared as their basketball "coach" pulled up to take them to their first "game". 
  
Brady and Kellen were too young to fully understand what we were doing, so we were only allowed to bring Camryn and Landon in to the "store". In fact, we weren't even allowed to bring Cam and Lan, but when I called and explained that we were about to bring 95 toys that were all donated by our children's friends and family and they immediately said "of course" to the big kids coming to see it through! 





As I mentioned, we had 95 toys to give!!! They couldn't believe their eyes when we told the that all of the donations were from a single birthday party! As the kids were getting everything out of the bags, I couldn't contain my pride. I was so proud that we had received so many gifts and I was so proud that Landon and Camryn were MORE than happy to give away the toys to children in need. 

And as the wonderful woman who stayed late to walk our children through the entire process that the needy families will go through began to speak, I couldn't contain my tears. They were happy tears for what we were teaching our children and they were sad tears for the families that will use this "store" as their only means for Christmas. I felt immeasurable gratitude for all that we have as a family. 






 
Every last bit of this pile (everything in the crib, too) was given at the Christmas party!
As we were leaving, I took one last look around the gymnasium. And I took one last look at the huge pile of gifts that were given to children by our people. Our people that made it possible for 95 Children in our city to smile on Christmas. Children that otherwise may not have had a gift to open on December 25, now will because of our people

So, to our people, Thank you. Thank you for coming to the party and giving the amazing gifts. I want to continue this tradition and continue giving to the needy families. Maybe we can do even more good next year! How amazing!!
Yep, all our people's donations!

I have a very, very, very favorite quote... 
  
I think we knocked it outta the freaking park, people

Photobucket

No comments: